Sunday, February 3, 2008

Wow. Didn't see that coming.

Just a little over three years ago, I was in downtown Boston when the Red Sox "reversed the curse". It was an exciting time. I was happy to be there.

I just returned from downtown Boston this evening, where I'd planned on watching the Patriots make NFL history. As pretty much everyone reading this knows by now, that didn't happen. Well, it sorta did, but not in a good way.

Here's what greeted me as I walked from the bar from which I watched the game in Kenmore Square to the closest functional T-station:

  • About 5 BU frat boys out in the street, hoopin' and hollerin'. I kind of hope their "brothers" beat the living crap out of them 5 minutes later.
  • About 80 police in full riot gear, looking very silly, because there were approximately 30 people out on the sidewalks. I am currently too drunk and too tired to really describe how sad it is to watch countless cops slowly strip off their bullet-proof vests, take down their barriers, and lay down their batons. I can't say for certain whether Boston's finest were so sad because the Pats lost, or because they were sincerely hoping to beat down some belligerent BU students tonight.
  • Several news helicopters, presumably with their cameras pointed down on the aforementioned empty sidewalks of Beacon St. Those of us they could see were very mopey.

Go Celtics!

No comments: