Monday, November 12, 2007

The Stolen Child


I don't have much time to expound on The Stolen Child, but I will say that I really liked it. I don't think adult fairy tales are a particularly easy genre to pull off, but Keith Donohue pulls it off with aplomb. The story follows the lives of a little boy who is kidnapped by a tribe of hobgoblins (or changelings) and the changeling who takes over his life. It's unique for many reasons, not the least being that it takes place firmly in the US (as opposed to England) and during relatively modern times.
It's a fast, entertaining, and at times thought- provoking read, and I would encourage anyone to give it a try. There's not a lot of magic being tossed around here willy-nilly, so even readers who aren't big fantasy fans would probably find something to enjoy here.

No comments: