Monday, November 5, 2007

Darjeeling Limited

So I saw Wes Anderson's The Darjeeling Limited the other night, as predicted in a previous post. For better or for worse, I don't think one can really see a Wes Anderson movie without comparing it to his previous movies; I also don't think one can really appreciate one of his movies without seeing it at least twice. But overall, I liked it. A brief break down:
Good Stuff:
  • The cinematography was the best I'd seen in any Anderson film. It's hard to watch this movie and not want to travel to India yourself.
  • Instead of the sprawling casts of borderline cartoonish characters that populated The Royal Tenenbaums and Life Aquatic, the plot just follows three brothers on their journey through India. Not that all the characters in the other movies weren't fun, but by focusing on just three characters and getting to know them better, the movie is much more streamlined and subsequently, more coherent.
  • The dialog is, as usual, almost poetic at times, though I'd have to watch it again to take it all in. Favorite line: "I love the way this country smells. I'll never forget it. It's kind of spicy."
Not as good stuff:
  • Though I feel kind of guilty criticizing the guy who just tried to off himself, I'm kid of tired of Owen Wilson. None of the characters he plays are all that different from one movie to the next. At least Adrien Brody kind of made up for that.
  • Anderson used the slo-mo move one two many times in this film. It's cool once in a while, but eventually I started to notice it too much--"Oh, they're running in slow motion again. Woopty-doo."
Other stuff:
  • This was the first Anderson movie not scored by Mark Mothersbaugh, but I can live with that considering the film's locale. The music was wholly appropriate, as usual, and I have the soundtrack already (though I haven't listened to it yet).
  • I can't say where I'd rank this among other Wes Anderson movies yet--though it's neither the best nor the worst. In a lot of ways, it's a departure from his previous films, and I think he was due for something a little different. I'll dutifully by the Criterion DVD when it comes out.

2 comments:

Evelyn Is Not Real said...

I've got to see this before it leaves the Nashville theaters. I read today that BSG Razor is playing in selected theaters, like Boston, on Nov 14th. You going to check it out?

EJP said...

Mmm...considering this was one of two movies I've seen in the last 8+ months (the first being while Annette and Linus were in Germany), I doubt I'll make it to BSG. It's on my Amazon wish list, though.