Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Who's a Halloweenie?

Some Halloween recommendations for this most pagan of holidays:
Movie:
Donnie Darko.
Not really a horror movie, I know, but still very Halloween-centric. And that rabbit suit is pretty creepy. I can't imagine anyone reading this site who hasn't seen this movie, but if you haven't, check it out. Now that I think about it, Patrick Swayze is legitimately scary in this movie.

And if you don't like this movie, then sometimes, I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion!




TV Show:
The League of Gentlemen.
This British sitcom is disturbing on multiple levels. The four writers (three of whom portray virtually every character in the town of Royston Vasey) are obviously huge horror movie fans. It's actually pretty hard to summarize this show...it's incredibly funny at times, but some scenes also made me pretty queasy. There are the inbred monsters who run the "Local Shop for local people", the vet who accidentally kills every single one of his patients in increasingly gruesome ways, the butcher who sells his addictive "special stuff." There's nothing else like it out there that I've seen. If you come to visit, I can lend you the whole series on DVD.


Album:
Say Hi to Your Mom's "Impeccable Blahs"
I have yet to find anyone who actually likes this band as much as I do. Admittedly, the songs often border on novelty, but a lot of times they're really good songs that just happen to be amusing. In any case, this album, the band's fourth, is essential Halloween listening since virtually every song has something to do with vampires. There's "These Fangs", "She Just Happens to Date the Prince of Darkness", and "Angels and Darlas", just to name a few. It's pretty much nerd rock (if you couldn't tell from the Angel/Darla reference), and being a nerd who likes to rock, that's fine by me.

The shirt I'm wearing today:In case you can't tell what this shirt is depicting, it's a zombie donkey. That is, it's a little boy riding on the shoulders of a zombie, dangling a brain from a stick in front of said zombie. 'Cuz zombies eat brains, get it? It is awesome, and I will probably wear this shirt every Halloween until it falls apart or I get too fat. You can get shirts like this from Threadless.com (Clyde Squid has already received one or two from me), though you can't get this particular shirt anymore unless they reprint it.

That's it. I'm pop cultured out for the day. Have a spoooooky Halloween everybody!!

No comments: