Thursday, October 4, 2007

Vampire Weekend, " Who gives a fuck about an Oxford comma? "


I know, I know... I'm late to the party. All the hipsters have long since known about Vampire Weekend. Well I didn't really, OK, I remember hearing Vampire Weekend on satellite radio in May, but I paid no attention to them then. What's up with the name (read here to find out)? These guys are an enigma wrapped in a mystery... well they're not really, but their sound is unique. Who describes their music as afro-pop, ska, and punk with an "old-school academia and historic college vibe" (all grads of Columbia U)? Considering they have not even released an official album yet, Vampire Weekend seems to have generated a substantial following. If you're looking for some new music, definitely check them out.

All things vampiric:

Myspace: you can listen to four of their songs and you can be friendly, or not.

Official site.

KEXP coverage (strongly recommend checking these out): background and movie trailer (I laughed my ass off over the trailer), linky deux, and linky number three.

NY Times review.

1 comment:

EJP said...

I actually just heard of these guys earlier this week on an old "All Songs Considered" podcast (I'm about two months behind on those). I agree that they're worth checking out.