Friday, October 19, 2007

Reissue of the Year

I know it's a little early for best of the year lists or picks, but I'm confident nothing is going to top my favorite reissue of the year, The Traveling Wilburys. Their two albums were released together earlier this year, and I have to admit it's a largely sentimental favorite. My mom played these tapes in the car a lot. That said, this is a group made up of Bob Dylan, George Harrison, Tom Petty, Roy Orbison, and some other guy I can never remember. In any case, those are some big deal names, and for the most part, these are some fun songs. Vol. 1 is especially good, with songs like "Handle With Care" and "End of the Line." You really miss Roy Orbison in Vol. 3 (those wacky guys skipped vol. 2!) but it's still alright. It's nothing to take very seriously, just something fun to pop in when you're up for some simple tunes crafted by the some of the best songwriters of the past 30+ years.

No comments: