Friday, September 21, 2007

Slayeriffic


I will always hold Buffy the Vampire Slayer the TV show in a special corner of my heart since Annette and I did a lot of bonding as we watched the entire series together. Also, it was just a kick-ass show, and I am an unabashed fanboy when it comes to all things Joss Whedon. In case you haven't heard, Joss recently started season 8 of Buffy, in comic book form. He's no stranger to comic writing (he's done a bunch of X-men stuff, and others), and he manages to capture the characters and the essence of the show perfectly. I guess that makes sense, since they're his characters. The art is cool, and much like the show, the comics manage to convey humor, angst, and general creepiness quite handily. I would actually say the creepiness factor is amped up a notch since there are no special effects/budget/FCC constraints on the comic. The newest story arc that started with the latest issue stars Faith(!) and is looking really good so far.

So if you were a fan of the show, read these comics (I should mention that there have been Buffy comics out there for a while, but I haven't read them and new ones pick up right where season 7 leaves off and are closely supervised and/or written by Joss). If you're not a fan of the show, go rent all seven seasons and watch it. Season one is a little slow, but it picks up in a big way after that.

Can we get a Firefly comic now, please? Please, please?

No comments: