Wednesday, September 19, 2007

James Murphy, Pop Rocks, and Patron

Austin City Limits 2007












Notable events from my third excursion to Austin, TX.

I like Patron. Bought a bottle for myself at the beginning of the trip and drank most of it by the end. I don't think I have a problem, but I have found that the one liquor I was made to drink is tequila.

Seeing Spoon at La Zona Rosa on Thursday night. Probably the best performance by them that I have witnessed, and finally getting to hear them play Metal Detektor live. Tight. I'm in agreement with those people who think horns just make music sound better.

Going to the LCD Soundsystem after show at Red 7, which kinda reminds me of Hell, a bar in Chapel Hill. Their motto "No Exceptions, No Bitching, Fuck You" was cute, as was the fact that the doorman for some reason thought I was George Michael, go figure, but it did lead to some interesting bathroom innuendos. Getting to see Britt Daniel of Spoon and of course James Murphy of LCD just hanging out at Red 7, and the Kaiser Chiefs, if that's your thing. Eating Pop Rocks. I guess this is the candy of choice for indie rockers. Seeing the end of Lady Pterodactyl - "We guarantee you will not see any younger (or cuter) girls rocking the synths this year."- austin360. I think my friend, Jaysus, was intrigued by the gumption of those tots and wanted to strike up a conversation. For the record I beg to differ on the cuter comment.



Emo's for The National. In short, it blew. Not because the band was bad, but rather the stage is a hole in the wall, and it was packed, thus making viewing the band nearly impossible. In addition, I was late because I stayed for the entire Arcade Fire set and was only able to catch the last few songs of their set, although I was happy to learn that they played the same setlist the next day at the festival. Interesting to note that a member of Wilco (Pat Sansone) and The Cold War Kids (Jonnie Russell) was present to witness the show, as they were standing right next to me. I think The National is about to blow up, but you know I kinda hope they don't for purely selfish reasons.


Being 30 feet from a fire that threatened to burn down the festival...guess that was this year's substitute for a Ben Kweller bloody nose. I did see a guy wearing a Revenge of Kweller t-shirt, but others that I thought were better included a fifty year-old redneck wearing an orange hunting cap as well as a Smith's t-shirt or the guy with the tee 'hangin with my gnomies' ... at least I thought it was funny.





Top sets of the festival for me:
1) The National
2) LCD Soundsystem
3) Spoon (La Zona Rosa)
4) The Arcade Fire
5)
My Morning Jacket
6)
Andrew Bird

Some setlists. It's how I roll. I'm a nerd like that.

Spoon - Setlist 09/13/07 - La Zona Rosa

My Japanese Cigarette Case
Don't You Evah
Stay Don't Go

You've Got Yr Cherry Bomb

They Never Got You

Rhythm and Soul

The Ghost of You Lingers

Metal Detektor

The Fitted Shirt
Don't Make Me a Target

Vittorio E

Small Stakes

I Summon You

I Turn My Camera On

???

The Beast and Dragon Adored

???

Black Like Me

encore:
Eddie's Raggae Chips and Dip
The Two Sides of Monsieur Valentine
The Underdog
Jonathon Fisk
Me and the Bean (Britt solo)

-thanks Jaysus for the setlist

The Arcade Fire - Setlist 09/15/07

Black mirror
Keep Cars
Laika
No Cars Go
Haiti
Intervention
Antichrist Television Blues
Windowsill
The Well and the Lighthouse
Ocean of Noise
Tunnels
Power Out into Rebellion
Wake Up


The National - Setlist 09/16/07

Start A War
Mistaken For Strangers
Secret Meeting
Brainy
Baby, Well Be Fine
Squalor Victoria
Slow Show
All the Wine
Racing Like A Pro
Apartment Story
Abel
Fake Empire
About Today
Mr. November





2 comments:

EJP said...

Broke the rules? This is a no holds barred blog, my friend.

Thanks for sharing. Sorry I had to be heavy-handed about it. I'll consider it a birthday present.

EJP said...

BTW, I can see your pictures now. I don't know why I couldn't before. I'd read about the fire on the first day and wondered how close you guys were to it. Watch where you flick your doobie next time.