Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Books I Read Over Vacation

So I finished one book I'd previously started and completely read another book while I was in Germany, and they probably couldn't be much more different.
The first was Schroedinger's Ball, by Adam Felber (of Wait, Wait...Don't Tell Me fame). A quick and fun read, with a bizarre mixture of physics, metaphysics, sex, Gen-X angst, and some silliness. But probably the my favorite aspect of the book is that it almost all takes place within ten minutes of where I work. The descriptions of the roads and squares in Cambridge at the beginning of the book are spot-on, so if you've been here before you'll smile knowingly. If you've never been here, this would give you a good taste of what the atmosphere is like here in Harvard Square. The main characters are also regulars at the Abbey Lounge, a very real dive bar here in Cambridge where the Bison Whisperer and I saw The Figgs play many moons ago. Anyway, it was entertaining, very slightly thought-provoking, and something to pick up when you're not up for a particularly serious read.
As opposed to The Road, by Cormac McCarthy. I won't say much about this book since it's gotten tons of publicity already, with a just little help from Oprah. I am a little curious to know what the average Oprah viewer thought of this grim, post-apocalyptic tale. I'm still digesting it in my head a little bit myself, which suggests that it was indeed a pretty good book if I'm still thinking about it now. There are some scenes of genuine, stomach-churning horror, but also some scenes that border on saccharine. Ultimately, the book is about the relationship between a father and son, so I guess it hit me pretty hard since I'm a relatively new father. I was a little unsatisfied with the ending, but overall I'd say this book deserves the attention it's getting. Have any of you read it yet? I'd be interested in knowing other people's thoughts.

No comments: