Saturday, September 22, 2007

Best...Cookbook...Ever...


When I was in New York last fall, I made a point of eating at one of the Les Halles. It was the best meal I have ever had, and I've eaten at a lot of "upper" establishments. French bistro is my gastronomic soul.

Last weekend, I made several dishes from Anthony Bourdain's cookbook (including, and most importantly, steak tartar). Me and my friend Tobermory ate with carnal relish whilst watching Alabama's football triumph.

You have to be crazy, and know the right people, to make the recipes. It's not for amateurs. But even if you have no intentions of ever making the food, the read is worth the buy. And smoking a joint is required when properly preparing snails.

Watch his show, now on DVD, when you can. It's not all about gross-out, despite what you may preconceive.

2 comments:

Evelyn Is Not Real said...

Your post reminds me of the road trip to Illinois that we all took many eons ago, as I believe I read Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential while in the back seat. What part of the cow is succulent enough to grace your taste buds in its virgin state?

EJP said...

I've fallen behind in Bourdain world as of late, but I did recently check out his blog for that chef competition show he does. As usual, I was highly edutained.