Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Taste Test: Vosges Mo's Bacon Bar

Lately there's been a lot of talk at my work about eating wacky foods. We're a small organization and we all eat lunch together, and there's often a lot of "You've never tried ____?! But it's so good." So far the wackiest taste test we had was mac&cheese with ketchup. That got a thumbs down from me.

Last week, I upped the ante a bit with a Vosges Mo's Bacon Bar that I purchased at Whole Foods for way too much money. As I wrote to my colleagues when I announced this taste test, "Bacon: good. Chocolate: good. How could this be bad?" I mean, just read what it said on the back of the package:

"Breathe…engage your five senses, close your eyes and inhale deeply. Be in the present moment, notice the color of the chocolate, the glossy shine. Rub your thumb over the chocolate bar to release the aromas of smoked applewood bacon flirting with deep milk chocolate. Snap off just a tiny piece and place it in your mouth, let the lust of salt and sweet coat your tongue."

Well, we all did just that, and I have to say it went over surprisingly well. Here are a few comments I heard from my co-workers:

"It's not as bacony as I thought. It's more like chocolate with just a hint of bacon."

"It's not nearly as bad a I thought it would be."

"Dude, you're cool, because if I'd bought one of these, I'd keep it all to myself and not shared it with anybody."

"If this didn't cost $8, I'd actually consider getting one for myself."

For my own part, I thought the balance of bacon and chocolate was just about perfect. Like a chocolate-covered pretzel in terms of the salt/sweet ratio, with traces of delicious smokiness we associate with bacon. The chocolate was quite good, too. I actually can't imagine a whole bar by myself since it's very rich, so I'm glad I shared it. All in all, a step up from my personal lollipop taste tests of yore.

2 comments:

Nat said...

I have a few points to make here:

- You think mac and cheese with ketchup is bad? Man, you're CRAZY! I've had that since I was, like, five! I also eat my perogies with ketchup. (Y'all know what perogies are, don't you?) (I sorta mean that winkingly but also I'm sorta honestly asking. Just because I've eaten them since birth doesn't mean you have.) You probably also think that ketchup potato chips are gross - which they're totally not. They're like eating pieces of heaven.

- Doesn't it disturb you that the piece of bacon in the illustration looks like a big turd?

- Whomever said, "It's more like chocolate with just a hint of bacon" isn't really doing a good job of selling anything, y'know.

- $8.00? Are you MAD?

- Probably I shouldn't consume large quantities of Cab Sauv and then make comments.

EJP said...

In response:
-The consensus was that if you grew up eating mac&cheese with ketchup, then you'd still like it as an adult. I didn't. Personally, I like to put salsa in my M&C. That's way fancier.

-Luckily, it didn't taste like a chocolate covered turd.

-I know, but I had to make do with the quotes I had, and they were all from three-day-old memories.

-$8 IS a lot, but I'd been looking for this specific chocolate bar for months and months, so I had to buy it when I finally found it.

-I think you should always consume large quantities of Cab Suav when you comment.