Sunday, June 1, 2008

The Green Tooth Fairy

So I'm currently sucking on the absinthe lollipop I got from Lollyphile. Clyde Squid and Evelyn Is Not Real (and Wife of EINR) also got these when I visited them last weekend. I have yet to brave the maple-bacon pop yet, but I will. In fact, I think I have to soon. Since those contain real bacon, they do actually have an expiration date on them I believe.

Never having had absinthe, I didn't really know what to expect. I know when EINR had his when we went to see Iron Man (awesome movie, btw), the smell alone almost made me gag. It basically tastes like a black jellybean, which makes sense since apparently wormwood is a member of the anise family. I'm muscling my way through...at first it made my tongue numb, but now it pretty much just tastes like sugar. I can't imagine what it's going to take to wash this flavor out of my mouth.

What have we learned? When a candy store or website describes its wares as "interesting and unique", do not interpret this as meaning "tasty." Also, absinthe is gross.

3 comments:

Evelyn Is Not Real said...

I almost want to vomit just thinking about that lolli. Haven't had the bacon yet, maybe tonight.

Unknown said...

I have had absinthe. I wrote an article about absinthe being available in local liquor stores, and then I bought some and drank it during the Oscars. It's a tough taste to get used to, and it helps if you like licorice. I ordered a slotted spoon from the internet, and decided that it was best if the water used to dilute the absinthe and sugar cubes was ice cold. The myth about it being an hallucinogenic is untrue, but it does have a certain energizing effect that you don't get from beer or wine.

Nat said...

Bacon-maple lollipops? Gross! Or heavenly? I'm not sure. You'll have to tell us which.