Thursday, August 28, 2008

Evelyn's Top Ten Albums of 2008... So Far

A little over a month ago EJP put up his 10 favorite albums of 2008. Seeing how it has felt as if I've been on the planet Mars for the last two months, I have been catching up on all things Love-Camel as I prepare to relocate back to the Motherland.

EJP and I often differ in our musical tastes, but it must be said, I appreciate the disparity as it often widens my musical lexicon. I'd like to add that in some respects, 2008 has been a musical bust for me... bands that had releases I was eagerly awaiting, but that just didn't do it for me:
My Morning Jacket: Evil Urges, Silver Jews: Lookout Mountain, Lookout Sea, R.E.M.: Accelerate, The Black Keys: Attack & Release, and Death Cab for Cutie: Narrow Stairs. Except for DCFC, which to be honest I'm not so much a fan of anymore (the last show of theirs that I went to was an absolute disaster...couldn't hear the band of over the shrill shrieks of 14 year-old girls), I am a huge fan of the other bands and it pains me for them to put out sub-par music. I blame Danger Mouse...you can love him...me, I think he over produces his music. Hence, both the Keys and MMJ sounds are off...hell, the Jacket comes off sounding like a 70s lounge club, church choir-boy act.

Righto, honorable mentions:

Vampire Weekend: Vampire Weekend. Initially, I would have thought this might be at the top of my list...I think this is a classic case of overexposure for me. Too much Vampire Weekend this and that. When making my lists, I tend to think about how often particular music makes it on my playlist. This album just didn't have staying power. I found the songs became stale after multiple listenings. Oh, I usually do this with my reviews, Pitchfork gave it 8.8.


Flight of the Conchords: Flight of the Conchords. This can't really count for 2008...but if it was new, it'd be in the top ten. Solid hits here. It's probably already been done, but I was thinking for Halloween this year I'd be Hiphopopotamus... just got to find out whose gonna be Rhymenoceros. Pitchfork gave it a 7.2.




Portishead: Third. Eleven years after their last release. That's some time to wait if you were a devout fan...fortunately for me, a friend turned me on to them more recently, so I didn't have to wait that long. It's good and it gets plus points for being released on vinyl with the digital download (why is everybody not doing this now?). Pitchfutch gave it 8.8. I know, you don't care.



#10: M83: Saturdays = Youth. In what might be a re-occurring theme for me this year, synths and beats are on. Must be the Chinese 'Year of Bass' (hehehe, I love my stupid puns. I blame Rick-dickulous). In places it gets a little to presumptuous... Frenchy, if you will. Pitchrock gave it 8.5.




#9:
Thao & The Get Down, Stay Down: We Brave Bee Stings and All. Yes, this is good indie pop. I can see why EJP is in love (even Sir Widget loves it, he actually bought the CD). It's great in places...but I feel like they are just beginning to understand what their sound is...it could be even better in my opinion. I predict better things from Thao Nguyen and her band in the future. PF gave it 7.7.


#8: Sun Kil Moon: April. It is no Ghosts of the Great Highway, and for a while I thought it was going to be up there with the other disappointments, but after a while it just clicked. No Danger Mouse. I'm happy to say that I'll get to see Mark Kozelek at Cat's Cradle in November. He is a real treat to see, if you get the chance. PF gave it 8.3.



#7: Cut Copy: In Ghost Colours. I have a penchant for electro-house music. This has been a favorite of mine this past summer...it has a very positive feel. Kind of my Sound of Silver for 2008. Not as good, but it's easy on the ears. Pitchfork feels the love. 8.8.



#6: The Walkmen: You & Me. This is a band that I have always been on the fence about...I've seen them live multiple times. I even have a great scatological story, but you have to buy me several beers before I talk. I digress. The Walkmen may have finally done it. This album has just come out, but I already think it is one of the best of the year. This one has the potential to move higher. PF gave it 8.5.


#5: Frightened Rabbit: Midnight Organ Fight. I was going to see a French Kicks show and saw that these guys were the opening act. Checked out their music and whammo!!! This album is well put together. A definite sing-a-long. The hits keep coming song after song. PF gave it 8.1.




#4: Girl Talk: Feed the Animals. I know there are so many issues surrounding this 'album'...the sampling, is he really a musician...blah, blah, blah. Things I know. I listen to this a fuck-ton. I can almost recite the album line for line. Going to a Gregg Gillis show is hella fun. No I'm not into hip-hop, but for some reason, this does it for me. Pitchfork gave Gillis an 8.0 for effort.



#3: Beck: Modern Guilt. This is the first album that I completely disagree with PF on. It is way better than the 7.0 they give it. Beck runs the full happy/sad spectrum here...the album is beat heavy. I'd say it's his best effort since Sea Change.




#2 and #1: Bon Iver: For Emma, Forever Ago & Fleet Foxes: Fleet Foxes. I cannot separate the two. I know BI technically came out in 2007, but realistically, no one (except for the cool kids) knew about it until it was re-released with a larger distribution. In fact, you couldn't find it. I wrote about this album earlier in March. This album will forever be etched in my memory. This year has been really trying and difficult...this album was its anthem. Pick it up.


Fleet Foxes... is, well, simply put just amazing. What the Jacket should have released. I'd highly recommend it as well. They sound amazing live from what I've heard. 8.1 and 9.0, respectively from PF.

4 comments:

EJP said...

Hurrah! Someone besides me posted!

Yes, are tastes can be pretty different, but I've found some of my favorite music through you, and I know I've introduced you to at least a few bands that you like.

My new music listening has sadly plummeted since I started the new job, so I haven't heard a lot on your list (though I've certainly heard OF them). I have to say, the new Beck album isn't doing it for me. And you know it was produced by Danger Mouse, right? The dude's got his fingers in everything this year.

Have you heard the new Hold Steady? I like it, and it may have cracked my top 10 had I heard it earlier.

Thanks for the post. Keep'em coming! And I'd be your Rhymenoceros if I was down in CH.

Evelyn Is Not Real said...

s, yes... I feel guilty about my lack of contribution. Thanks for keeping down the fort.

Have heard new Hold Steady, but still need to purchase a copy. The move has restricted my purchasing power somewhat for the moment.

You know that School Kids closed in CH? Now there are exactly zero good places to buy music locally in the Thrilla...

I'll be interested to compare our year-end lists.

EJP said...

Got Fleet Foxes yesterday. Pretty cool...very different than anything I've heard recently. I think I'll have to warm up to it a bit. It's almost like a food that's so rich that I can only eat it little bits at a time.

Evelyn Is Not Real said...

give it a few listens... it's kinda like the new Walkmen. I think I listened to both about 4ish times before it started to click. BTW, the move is complete.