Friday, March 7, 2008

Turning the Dial: Just Be

Evelyn Is Not Real-style album reviews of 'new' releases:

So 'newer' in the sense that I've just started listening to these albums recently, but I'm pretty sure they are in fact new releases. Incidentally, all the groups start with the letter B.
  • British Sea Power - Do You Like Rock Music? Why thanks for asking... yes, I do like ROCK music. This album is highlighted with intricate guitar play (not quite wanking). Very poppy. For me, there is usually more incentive to pick-up new music of groups I've never heard of, if they are planning to stop in Nashvegas on their tour. If I recall, that is one reason why I picked this up. That and a good friend of mine, who just happens to work at Grimey's (our local indie music store), recommended it. His tastes are very similar to mine. Pitchfork reviewed it here and gave it a U.2 score (yes, as in the band). Haha. Funny. Yes, P-effers think it reminds them of U2 from the 2000s, not 1980s U2. Blah, blah, blah. It is an album that has grown on me and if you've got extra money laying around, I'd recommend picking it up. As an aside, in a recent trend that I appreciate as a vinyl collector, you can get the LP, and it includes free MP3 download of songs. Nice. Tracks I particularly dig: "Waving Flags" and "No Lucifer." These guys kind of remind me of the Secret Machines.
  • Black Mountain - In Our Future. On BM's myspace page this group describes their music as psychedelic, healing & easy-listening (aka 'we sound great when you are high'). Prog rock is what I'd call it. Not really my cup of tea. But that being said, their music is like a tape worm. I'm not really happy with liking that I have one, but damn, I can eat anything I want. You see, that's the kind of shit that you'll write if you listen to In Our Future enough. It just grows on (in) you. Going to see these guys this Monday as they are touring with Bon Iver (the main reason I'm going to the show, and I've already described how I feel about For Emma, Forever Ago [damn good album]). Pitchfork reviewed In Our Future here and gave it a 7.4. I don't mind listening to "Wucan."
  • Beach House - Devotion. In all honesty, this is a hard album for me to say much about. It lies in that realm of 'I've listened to the album 4 or 5 times, and I can't decide if I hate it or it's going to be a favorite-of-the-year for me.' Usually, if I feel this way about an album, I end up really loving it, so I guess we will see. As for the music, I have to quote Pitchfork's review (as I can't come up with anything better) in that "Their elicate, lovelorn pop comes in the form of deathly waltzes and dark pastoral dirges." Sometimes Pitchfork gets it right. BTW, they gave it a 8.5. What more can I say? I think I still prefer Trailer Bride as a group over this though, but it took me a frickin' long time to realize I liked TB. Some striking songs off the album for me "Wedding Bell" , "Holy Dances" and "D.A.R.L.I.N.G."

5 comments:

EJP said...

Nice, I like all these music reviews...

I've heard tracks from all three of these, but have yet to pick any up ,partly because March is turning out to be a helluva music month and I've almost blown the music budget already (still coming up: new Dodos, Elf Power, Ditty Bops, Cloud Cult, She & Him). I can't say any of the songs I've heard so far blew me away, so I'll be interested in hearing how these grow on you.

The Trailer Bride reference got my attention though. I didn't realize you ever got into them. Did you know Melissa Swingle's new band (The Moaners) is touring with The Mountain Goats as we speak?

Evelyn Is Not Real said...

Did not know that. Thanks. Unfortunately, the Mountain Goats are not coming my way during their tour.

EJP said...

I think they're playing two shows here (or already played them), but obviously I'm not going (didn't go).

Speaking of The MGs, the new album isn't fantastic, but I would at least check out the song "Autoclave". It's your duty as a scientist, because how many songs about autoclaves will you ever hear again? "Lovecraft in Brooklyn" is interesting, too.

Clyde Squid said...

I saw British Sea Power in Chapel Hill a few years ago; they were unhinged but awesome. I'll have to check it out.

EJP said...

I have to say, I got the BSP album, and I'm kind of disappointed. I'll give it some more time, but it certainly didn't jump out at me as exceptional (unlike The Kills album). I'll keep trying...