Saturday, March 1, 2008

Cinematic Titanic: MST3K's Mutant Baby

So it's 3AM and I've spent the last hour and a half watching The Oozing Skull, the first installment from Cinematic Titanic, or as I like to think of it, Joel-Hodgson-and-the-rest-of-the-original-Mystery Science Theater 3000-crew-finally-realized-they're-only-good-at-one-thing.

MST3K is the show I would take with me to a desert island. It's the show that sparked my sick pop culture obsession. I've missed it terribly. I was pretty pumped when I first heard about this project, which is basically MST3K without the robots, and more people commenting directly at the movie.

Well, you can't go back again. Not that I didn't enjoy the "movie." The Oozing Skull was suitably terrible and thoroughly riffable. I laughed out loud frequently. A lot of stuff also fell pretty flat. Some bits just weren't that clever, or they dragged on too long, or they were so obscure that only someone who hasn't left their couch for 40 years would get them (see Frank's one blog post on the web site for a few of those).

Then again, this was their first shot at this, and MST3K certainly had its share of duds. I'm not going to give up on these guys, but I'm also not going to heartily recommend that anyone shell out the money to buy this DVD. If Clyde Squid (who's probably the only other contributor here even remotely interested in this) wants to check it out, I'll send him my copy. It's probably worth watching with his I'd Give You Some... friends if ya'll haven't seen it already. Sorry I can't give it a really glowing review, but using my Newspeak system, I can only give this one a good.

Trailer | Cinematic Titanic

1 comment:

Clyde Squid said...

My friends have it, but we haven't watched it yet. We're slackers. I'll provide our insights whenever we do...