Sunday, January 6, 2008

In Case You Missed It...

I'm on a roll with watching movies lately! Last night the wife and I watched Ratatouille. I won't go into a lot of details, especially since this movie came out half a year ago. It should suffice to say that it was awesome, and if I could only watch animated movies directed by Brad Bird for the rest of my life, I'd be OK with that. I think what really struck me about this film was how adult it was. It was G-rated, but some of the themes and concepts would be pretty difficult for a lot of kids to grasp. The way Remy the rat describes food and flavors, and how these descriptions are depicted graphically, is remarkable. And despite having read books about and by chefs, I learned some things about how a gourmet kitchen works. There was plenty of slapsticky humor for the kiddies (and OK, I laughed a lot at that, too), but this as much a movie for grown-ups as children.

On a personal note to Clyde Squid, I can't imagine you haven't seen this movie yet, but if not, why not? Pixar, Brad Bird, Patton Oswalt, and gourmet cooking? This movie was practically made for you!

No comments: