Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Food for Your Ear Holes

Poor Evelyn Is Not Real wants to hear some good music (according to the most recent post on his blog). As you wish, my friend.

I'm going to try not to rave about this album too much, but it did fall into the rare category of albums that I liked from beginning to end on the very first listen. The group is The Dodos, the album is Beware of the Maniacs. And it is good. Very good.

What's that you say? A drummer and a guitarist? It's been done. The White Stripes have done it. The Black Keys have done it. All to acclaim. But this is different. If I could turn off the guitar tracks and just listen to the percussion, it would still be good, even great. This is heart pounding drumming, not just bang bang on the snare drum. The guitar, though not as unique as the drumming, is still excellent.

And to top it all off, the song writing is top notch. The song "Neighbors" easily describes my neighbors, and though songs called "Horny Hippies" and "Nerds" may sound like novelty items, I assure you they're perfectly legit. But start off with "Trades & Tariffs", which you can hear on the group's MySpace page. If you don't like this song--if it doesn't leave you wanting to hear more--then by all means, go back to your Britney Spears album. No, please don't. Just listen to this album. You can thank me later.

Oh, and this is actually a 2006 album that I just discovered recently. They're coming out with a new album in a few months and I'll be the first in line for it.

1 comment:

Evelyn Is Not Real said...

Bless you my son. And then there was light. I'm going straight to Hell, I know.