Wednesday, April 2, 2008

A Message from Beyond

I realize the general "rules" of this blog have discouraged posting internet stuff, but I'm going to make an exception here. As someone who is immersed in the world of Dr. Seuss on an almost nightly basis, I'm constantly reminded that the dude was just awesome. I'm not saying his every book was a masterpiece of children's literature, but I genuinely enjoy reading "Green Eggs & Ham" several times a week.

And I've been sincerely dismayed that his books have been turned into crap-ass movies. Not that I've watched any of them (nor will I, ever), but one simply can't turn a children's book composed of silly rhymes into a decent film. I honestly believe it's impossible. Apparently, the brilliant folks at The Onion think so, too:

Stop Making Movies About My Books

The Onion

Stop Making Movies About My Books

On the fourteenth of March, in towns nationwide, In every cinema, multiplex, on every barnside, Gleamed another adapting of...

3 comments:

Nicholas Foley said...

Funny. Peter Segal read an opinion on All Things Conisdered last night about the recent whooville movie (sp?). he was more upset about the choice of hero/heroine in the story. but nonetheless expressed general disdain for the adaptation. (sorry, i looked for a link but couldnt find one.)

Nat said...

Is it just me or does he look like De Niro?

EJP said...

I think he actually looks a little more like Sam Waterston.

Have I ever mentioned that I met and ate lunch with Sam Waterston's son once? He taught drama at a summer program I attended. He's also an actor and was one of the students in "Dead Poet's Society."

How's that for a tangent?