Friday, April 11, 2008

Check'em Out: Studio 360 and Thao Nguyen

Does anyone else out there listen to NPR's Studio 360? If not, I highly recommend that you check it out, via podcast or whatever means you can find (I suppose you could even use the radio). It's essentially a radio version of what this blog aspires to be, with stories about literature, pop culture, and the arts. And by "the arts", I mean every aspect of the arts, including music, film, design, architecture--virtually anything that involves creativity. The host, Kurt Andersen, is usually an excellent interviewer--better than Terry Gross, in any case--and is neither fawning nor overly contentious with any of his guests.

Over the past year or so, they've devoted entire episodes to their "American icons" series, which focus on such diverse icons as the film "The Wizard of Oz", F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby, and recently, the Lincoln Memorial. The producers of the show do an excellent job of demonstrating how these "icons" have contributed to the American cultural landscape over the years. The show also has a recurring feature about science and creativity, often talking to a scientist or engineer who was influenced by a particular work of art. So many people fail to see the connection between the world of science and the world of art, when really they're very closely intertwined. I could write oodles on that topic, but in the interest of brevity I'll just say that I appreciate it when anyone, Studio 360 or otherwise, is willing to highlight the interdependence of science and art.

I'm writing about Studio 360 because it's one of many places I go to find new stuff to like, in case anyone is the least bit interested in how I "discover" new bands, movies, or whatever. The program has introduced me to a slew of authors, film makers, musicians...even new comics. One musician in particular that I recently discovered through Studio 360 is Thao Nguyen and her band, The Get Down Stay Down. Listening to the segment I heard is a much better introduction to the woman and her music than anything I could write here, so check it out below:


I liked their latest album, We Brave Bee Stings and All, instantly. Lots of great hooks, a simple but engaging musical style--I'm not saying everyone will love it, but I'd be surprised if anyone could actively dislike it. The video below will give you just a taste. More songs and video on her MySpace page.

No comments: