Friday, October 3, 2008

Songs in Search of a Soundtrack: Noah and the Whale

I am a sucker for Wes Anderson movies and indie rock bands, which means it's inevitable that I would post something about Noah and the Whale. Even the name of this London band apparently came from Anderson collaborator Noah Baumbach's movie The Squid and the Whale. And the video for their ridiculously catchy single, "5 Years Time," was certainly cut out of The Life Aquatic handbook.

I picked up their recent (and I believe debut) album, Peaceful, The World Lays Me Down, and was pleased to discover a solid set of songs from beginning to end. "5 Years Time" is certainly a standout track, but I find it fascinating that Pitchfork described it thusly: "takes up familiar ukulele strums ...., violin, and a heavy beat." Only the Pitchforkians would describe that as "familiar." Have these guys ever listened to a Top 40 radio station?

But I digress. The rest of the album is not as happy/shiny as the single, but the songs are nearly all catchy and well-performed. As I mention in the post title, these songs--most of which are about love, death, love and death, or the death of love--could easily fall into the soundtrack of a quirky indie romantic comedy (or, hey, even a Wes Anderson movie). That's not meant to be a negative critique, because I would probably enjoy or even buy such a soundtrack. It's just that a lot of these songs are begging for a montage, and I can't think of an album that's ever struck me like that before.

Enjoy the video (I challenge you not to enjoy it, at least a little bit), and know that the song comes from a very decent album. The more I listen to it, the more it's growing on me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRX5kH6IrkY

(This video became un-imbeddable, so you'll just have to cut and paste the link)

3 comments:

Nat said...

"Songs in Search of a Soundtrack" - that's brilliant! What a great description of NatW!

(By the way, 5 Year's Time was one of my happy songs this summer. Whenever work would make me sad, I'd listen to that song and I'd feel better.)

EJP said...

Yeah, I'm a little late to the NatW party, but to my credit, the album did just come out a few weeks ago. Based on the CDs you sent, it struck me as a band you might like.

Unknown said...

I've been waiting since this summer in england (Glasto 08!)to hear this song hit in The States.. Every time we opened the sunroof on some roadtrip, we'd get this song on BBC1 or BBC2. Can't believe it's taken THIS long. Yeah, it definately needs to be on SOME soundtrack...it certainly was MY soundtrack on vacation!