Friday, October 3, 2008

Musical Nirvana

So right now I am in the middle my personal Evelyn's Music Fest 2008, which is basically what I hope to be three amazing shows in three days. I wasn't able to make it to any festivals this year, which, while making me a little depressed, helps to reinforce the idea that life is always changing, and well, enjoy the moment, because those festivals and shows that we often reminisce about, like when I was at Stubb's in 2005 for Arcade Fire and Black Keys, are distinct moments in time and will never be reproduced.

So, it just so happened that on Thursday I picked up a Daily Tar Heel and saw that none other that Andrew Bird was scheduled to play at UNC's Memorial Hall. How in the hell did I miss that? Well, I blame being recently reunited with Chapel Hill...I usually pride myself on being aware of these things. I was introduced to Mr. Bird by EJP some years ago, and ever since, he has been a constant fixture in getting some airtime in my ears. Turns out, his performance was to be solo, even better, because if you've never seen an Andrew Bird show, this man is truely a one man show with layers of looping, whistling, and a really good voice. I won't go into a complete run-down of the show, a much better review is here, but some highlights for me included getting to hear new tracks from his upcoming release, Noble Beast, as well as the most amazing cover I have ever heard: Charlie Patton's 'Some of These Days.' This song just hit home for me ... I can only hope that this song ends up on archive.org.

Then last night I was able to catch The Walkmen at The Cat's Cradle, which as I also learned in the Wed. DTH is slated to be leveled and replaced by a hotel chain in Carrboro (how wrong is that?; however, the CC's owners insist the Cradle will survive). Earlier I posted my 10 favorite albums of the year and Walkman's You & Me was on there, and I'd have to say, it might be my favorite of the year. It was a crazy good Walkmen show...I've seen them multiple times and there have been some stinkers...but from the first Dylanesque belted lyrics from Hamilton Leithauser, you knew it was on. Unfortunately, no setlist yet, but the boys played most of You & Me, with the noted exception of 'Seven Years of Holidays' which is my personal fave. A show highlight for me was 'All Hands and The Cook.' Of course they kept everyone happy with 'The Rat' ... even as I type this I'm still amazed how good Leithauser's voice sounded live. One perplexing thought about the show though, there were perhaps 150 people there. What...how can you be serious with how amazing their new album is...and Girl Talk, which is playing soon at CC, sold out a month ago. Don't get me wrong, I like Greg Gillis mashups too...whatever. I was there last night and it was nice. Very nice.

Finally, tonight I'm headed to the Orange Peel in Asheville, gasoline willing, with Sir Widget to see the Blues Brothers from Akron, aka, The Black Keys. OK, side rant. You're aware that the Southeast has been in a gasoline shortage since hurricane Ike. Yeah, that's right, the one that hit Sept. 13th. Ike Spike alright. Anyway, in the Western part of NC , it has been a real hassle to get our drug of choice it seems. Here's to hoping the ride is worth it. Yes, I could see them play in RDU, but the Orange Peel really is one of my favorite venues, plus I am planning on some bouldering in the area the next day.

Just got to make a commemorative t-shirt and poster for my festival, and I'll be all set.

1 comment:

EJP said...

Going to see Andrew Bird at a really nice venue in Portsmouth on Wed. I'm pumped!