Thursday, December 6, 2007

Top 3 Albums I Missed in 2006

Before all the 2007 list-making starts, there are a few 2006 albums that I really enjoyed this past year that technically shouldn't make a 2007 list. Better late than never, I guess...

1.) Rotary Downs - Chained to the Chariot
I heard bits from this band on a couple different NPR shows (Studio 360, All Songs Considered) and found their songs getting stuck in my head. They're indie rockers from a place one doesn't usually associate with indie rock: New Orleans. You can hear some Pavement influence here, but for the most part it's a pretty unique sound with lots of catchy tunes. This one's been a heavy rotation for a few months now.

2.) Alexi Murdoch - Time Without Consequence

If you don't like Nick Drake, I'd quickly warn you away from this one. Murdoch's voice and style of music are very reminiscent of him. Since I do like Nick Drake (though I have to be in the right mood), I like this album. I wouldn't say I like every song, but the songs I do like, I like a lot. "Wait" and "Orange Sky" are a few of my favorites. Nothing you'd want to blast from your car with the windows down, but good chill out music.


3.) Forro in the Dark - Bonfires of Sao Joao

Say what you will about David Byrne--they guy has good taste in music. His solo stuff may be pretty weird (I don't know from first hand experience, but I've heard), but he's brought some cool music to the public's ears over the years. Besides giving a home to Jim White on his Luaka Bop label, he's brought a lot of Brazilian music to the US, including this group. I don't understand 90% of the lyrics on here, but it's still one my favorite albums I've heard all year. I'd love to hear these guys live, and I understand they brought down the house when they played in Austin this past summer. If you can listen to this album without shaking your ass, then you need to get to get your ass fixed.


That's it for now. There's a couple other albums that almost made this list (like The Hold Steady), but I'm out of time and these really were the top three. Check'em out if you get the chance.

No comments: