Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Ice Cream Review: Ben & Jerry's Mission to Marzipan

Oddly enough, it was almost a year ago today that I did my one other ice cream review on this blog. That flavor was probably a little less polarizing than Mission to Marzipan, because I don't know many people who dislike cheesecake brownies, but I know a lot of people who dislike marzipan. My German wife got me hooked on the stuff (we've even visited Luebeck, where marzipan was supposedly first created), and after chocolate, it's probably one of my favorite dessert flavors.

The marzipan in this new Ben & Jerry's flavor isn't exactly Niederegger quality, but it's still pretty dang good. I initially bought it for my highly pregnant wife, but I confess that I think I've eaten more of it than she has. The sweet cream ice cream would probably be pretty delicious on its own, but the almond cookies and marzipan swirl make it downright addictive. A must-try for anyone who likes marzipan, and it might even win over some marzipan skeptics. The only thing that would have improved it is a little dark chocolate somewhere, but then again, I think chocolate improves pretty much anything.

No comments: