Friday, February 20, 2009

Quote of the Week, by Chuck Klosterman

Aside from a few interviews and essays, I haven't read much by Chuck Klosterman. Pop culture already sucks up a bit too much of my time, so do I need to read about it even more? That said, he was recently featured in Newsweek's "A Life in Books" feature, in which authors and writers are asked about their favorite books. Nothing very surprising about his 5 "most essential" books, but when asked for A Book You Would Have Parents Read To Their Children, Klosterman responded: "'Gravity's Rainbow.' I don't really understand children."

I laughed out loud on my train. I may have to go out and buy one of this guy's books. Any recommendations from someone who's read him?

For the record, if you simply must read one Pynchon novel before you die, go for The Crying of Lot 49. Gravity's Rainbow has its moments, but it almost kicked my ass.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I've read a bit of Klosterman's Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs, a collection of essays on things like Billy Joel and the TV show Saved by the Bell. If that's your cup of tea, he's entertaining enough. And I love his Billy Joel essay, because it captures some of my thoughts on Billy Joel.