Saturday, May 3, 2008

Retro Review: Ratcatcher

So besides a few TV shows on DVD that I'm trying to catch up on, I also have a small number of movies that have yet to come out of their plastic wrap. Some I've seen, but not for a while. Some I basically purchased on spec. They're from several different decades and several different genres. Over the next few months I'm hoping to catch up on those and write quick reviews if I deem them review-worthy.

I started tonight with Ratcatcher, the 1999 debut feature film by writer/directer Lynne Ramsay. I'd never seen it before tonight, and I basically got it on a whim after reading a bit about the movie and the director.

Though certainly not something that would appeal to mass audiences, the movie is definitely worth watching for anyone who enjoys quality film making. Set in 1973 Glasgow during a garbage strike, the movie follows a young boy through a summer of ups and downs in a poor, urban neighborhood. There's not much of a plot to give away here--as I said, this isn't a mainstream film. A good portion of the film's appeal is the imagery. Some of the images from this movie have been burned into my brain, like young James's first bus ride, or his friend Kenny's pet mouse taking a special trip. Though filmed in color, the palette consists primarily of browns and grays. When we do a see a "real" color, it usually packs a wallop.

I'm assuming most of the cast were and are unknowns--this was the only movie for nearly all of them. I was actually surprised to see that on the IMDb. Considering how little dialog there is (and everything is mercifully subtitled, since the thick Scottish accents are difficult to understand), the sheer breadth and depth of the emotions conveyed is remarkable.

This is, by most standards, and artsy-fartsy film. But it's beautiful, and powerful, and I'd recommend it to anyone who wants to see some quality before we're bombarded with this summer's watch-it-and-forget-it blockbusters. I'm looking forward to watching Ramsay's short films that are included on my version of the DVD (from the Criterion collection).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ratcatcher is a fine film. Lynne Ramsay's folo-up, Morvern Callar, is also interesting, although I didn't like it nearly as much. Helps to be a Samantha Morton fan. Another film in the Ratcatcher vein is Trans, a sort of impressionistic look at a troubled teen.