Sunday, January 13, 2008

I Joined the Club

I just looked at Juno's Rotten Tomatoes score and it's got a 93%. It deserves it. I went into this movie kind of incredulous that it could be as good as the reviews said, but now I'm a believer.

Since there has been so much positive buzz about this film, all I can do here is reiterate a few things. The performances by every member of the cast are spot on, and if Ellen Page doesn't get an Oscar nod, then...well, I've never thought much of the Oscars anyway. The art direction is Wes Anderson quality. The writing is arguably better than Anderson's in parts. These characters are quirky, but not so over-the-top quirky that you roll your eyes and become overly aware of the quirkiness (OK, I'll concede that the names of the characters--Juno McDuff, Paulie Bleeker--are rather Dickensian). The soundtrack is precious. Probably one out of five people will find it overly precious, but any movie that introduces the world to Kimya Dawson and The Moldy Peaches is alright by me.

I could go on, but the bottom line is this may have been my favorite movie of 2007, even if technically I saw it in 2008. I laughed out loud several times, and towards the end I'll confess that I was tearing up a bit. And perhaps the most amazing thing is that the audience with whom I saw this movie ranged in age from about 10-years-old to about 60, and virtually everyone appeared to enjoy it as much as I did. So, yeah, go see it.

3 comments:

Evelyn Is Not Real said...

Saw this in Bozeman whilst I had a bunch of time to kill, imagine that. I totally agree with your review...as I'm a big Belle & Sebastian fan, I dug the their songs, as well as the Cat Power tune. However, one can never go wrong with the Moldy Peaches, I owe my thanks to you for that.

EJP said...

Yeah, I got the soundtrack, even though I already had the Moldy Peaches, B&S, and Cat Power songs on their original albums. There was enough other good stuff on there to justify it. I'm also glad I'm not the only 30-something dude who liked the movie.

Evelyn Is Not Real said...

When I saw the movie, it was like a theater of chicks and me. Oh well... believe me I get a ton of shit for admitting I like chick flicks, you know, like How Stella Got Her Groove Back.