Monday, December 10, 2007

EJP's Best of the Oddball Classification Albums - 2007

I guess everyone has their own definition of what a "real" album is. In my mind, an album is an LP of songs by one performer or band, releasing primarily new, original material. Musical entities I don't feel fall under this definition are: EPs, posthumously released material, "Best of ..."s, soundtracks, and reissues. Yet I'll still buy some of these types of CDs, so before I start listing my real albums of the year, I'll list a few things I've enjoyed that don't qualify for the other lists. Also, I don't really have time for lots of links and pictures, but if you can't find more information on any given one of these albums in a 10 second search, you probably should stop using the internets now.

Best EP: Beirut - Lon Gisland
Pretty much worth it for the song "Elephant Gun" alone, Beirut also
released an LP, The Flying Club Cup, later in the year. That CD won't be making my album list--not that I don't like it, but it just didn't make the cut. Beirut is definitely a band to watch though.

Best posthumous album: Elliot Smith - New Moon
Kind of a no-brainer since it's the only posthumous album I listened to this year, but that's not to say it wasn't good. This really wasn't the best year for me to be listening to sad Elliot Smith music though...I'll probably bring this one back out next year and give it another shot.

Second Best Reissue: Pavement - Wowee Zowee
Only second best because I already posted on the best, Wowee Zowee is actually my favorite Pavement album. I'm sure other fans will take issue with that, but whatever. This reissue goes almost a little overboard with the extras, but I had to get it since I wore out my old copy of the CD (one of the first CDs I ever bought) a while ago.

Best Soundtrack: The Darjeeling Limited
Even without the help of Mark Mothersbaugh, Wes Anderson still produced yet another stellar soundtrack album. If he ever wants to stop making movies (please don't stop making movies), he can just spend his time making mix CDs for me.

Best CD I picked up for less that $4 at my local grocery store: Three Dog Night - Joy to the World: Their Greatest Hits
Don't you judge me. I used to listen to this album on a tape when I was a kid and I still know nearly every song by heart. Have you even heard "Never Been to Spain"? That's a kick-ass song.


1 comment:

Nat said...

Three Dog Night is awesome indulgent fun! Shambala is my happy song.