Monday, January 19, 2009

Movie Revie: My Bloody Valentine 3-D


Schlocky, over-the-top, slasher horror fun. The 3-D was AMAZING, the plot semi-intriguing yet still comfortably formulaic, the actors (some throw-back) stilted, and the obligatory horror elements (teeners drinking where they shouldn't, boobies and crotch [in 3-D no less], red herrings, unbelievable 80's-style blood and guts) all were aggressively covered in what seemed to be a "FUCK YOU!" to the tired 90's self-reflective, minimalist gore horror genre of popular TV actors overstepping old stereotypes for overstepping's sake.

Thus, I loved it: the 3-D effects and the fantastic gore alone are worth every penny. Especially impressive was the miner's hat light shining through the screen (how did they do that?). But the movie could have easily failed as an effects piece and didn't, something rare both to the horror genre and 3-D genre.

I'd even watch it again in 2-D.

It had a preview of Coraline 3-D; we all have to go see that next month.

2 comments:

EJP said...

Nice to have you back, Clyde. And I have a confession, I hadn't even looked at the trailer for this movie because I assumed it was a concert film for the band.

Clyde Squid said...

True Story: I went to a concert in Birmingham to see Billy Talent, and they opened for My Bloody Valentine. I lasted 5 minutes of the latter before I bolted out of town.