Friday, July 18, 2008

These Songs are Dead to Me

The radio station that the technicians I supervise listen to every day could be worse. It's not top 40, or sports radio. It actually plays some good songs, many of which I haven't heard in ages. Yet there are three songs that the station plays EVERY day, at least once a day, if not more. These are songs that I used to kind of like, or at least tolerate. But now, whenever one of these songs comes on, my ears start to bleed and my mind shuts down. These are the songs:

"Bittersweet Symphony" by The Verve (which lasts for freaking ever)
"Wonderwall" by Oasis
"Undone (The Sweater Song)" by Weezer

If you are my friend, please don't play these songs in my presence ever again. If you are one of my co-workers who happens to know about this blog, please don't advertise this post, and if you walk into my office to find me banging my head on the keyboard, now you know why.

6 comments:

Clyde Squid said...

Those are the only ones? Christ on toast, join a gym. You'll hear shit not even nearly as good as that and get it a billion-times over.

Plus, at least 4 times a week, I have to call into a conference line. While I'm waiting, the same cheesy synthesized non-song plays while I wait.

Whatever torture you feel you have from these songs, try 15 minutes of the same "Weather Channel" muzac terror you've heard for 2 years droning on, and on, and on, and on, and on...until your conference picks up. It's like listening to the elevator music for the trip to hell...and hell seems like a great destination!

Nat said...

My work doesn't allow us to listen to music which, up until now, I've thought was a bad thing...but maybe I should be thankful!

Unknown said...

I hear Jay-Z just covered Wonderwall. That's something I'd like to hear. I can listen to all those songs, actually. And "The Freshmen." Remember that?

EJP said...

clyde squid: my main issue is that I once liked these songs. OK, I was never a big fan of Oasis, but the others I liked OK. But the repetition day in and day out...I don't know that I like any song enough to hear it that often.

nat: I can still listen to MY music in my office (sometimes), which tends to drown out the music from the lab. I would be very sad if I could never listen to music at work.

Sara: I'll have to find that cover. I'm sure I'm familiar with "The Freshmen".

timgower said...

I like EJP's idea -- "dead to me" suggests that you once cared about someone, but he or she crossed a line and are forever tainted in your mind. That definitely happens with songs. How about all of early Coldplay?

EJP said...

Oh Jeebus, don't even get me started on Coldplay.