Friday, August 24, 2007

Rockingest Accordion Ever?

Apparently Gogol Bordello has been around for a while, but their recent album "Super Taranta" was my first exposure to them. I don't know exactly how to classify this music (err...seems to be a theme of mine on this blog), but I guess you could call it Eastern European Gypsy Rock. Whatever the hell it is, I like it. There is indeed some rocking accordion playing, as well as violin and the usual rock band instruments (and, um, fire buckets). The lead singer slips in and out of Ukranian and heavily accented English, but what lyrics I can understand are fairly entertaining. One of my favorite tracks is "American Wedding":

Have you ever been to American wedding?
Where is the vodka, where's the marinated herring?
Where is the supply that gonna last three days?
Where is the musicians that got the taste?

Indeed, where are they? I'd love to see these guys live. I like to play this album loud on Friday afternoons...as in right now while I'm posting this. It's incredibly energetic, fairly ridiculous, but ultimately very entertaining. Imagine Olaf from Clerks singing "Berserker" crossed with...Fiddler on the Roof? I dunno...just give it a shot.

No comments: