Monday, July 30, 2007

This is pretty obscure, but...


Has anyone ever heard of this series of books about a boy wizard named "Harry Potter"? I've read all of them, and even though they undoubtedly teach children that paganism is good and Jeebuz is bad, I think everyone should read them.

In all seriousness, Deathly Hallows was a pretty good ending to the series. It kept me up until after 2AM this past weekend when I really should have been catching up on sleep. J.K. Rowling is not a stupendous writer, but she can tell a good story. And I felt like I was taking a part in pop culture history when I drove my tired ass to the nearest bookstore (and since we were in NH at the time, that was 30 minutes away) at midnight last week to get our copy for Annette. Waiting along with nearly 500 people--mostly kids dressed up in their wizardly garb--who were positively giddy in anticipation was nearly as cool as reading the book itself. The only other time in my life I've seen comparable anticipation was for the Star Wars prequels, and let's face it, those didn't even come close to fulfilling most people's expectations. HP & the DH very nearly lived up to the hype for me. If you really haven't gotten around to reading the books, give them a shot.

2 comments:

Clyde Squid said...

I tried, but stopped after the second book. I was underwhelmed. Oh well.

EJP said...

Well, I won't try to talk you into it, but the first two books are certainly the weakest. The third book is excellent, the fourth book is kind of meh, and the last three are increasingly dark.